Morality question…

This has been bothering me for a few days, so I’m just going to ask it. I’m curious what your reaction is.

You are out walking. In a stranger’s front yard is a lemon tree overflowing with lemons. Do you take some?

– Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Advertisements

11 responses to this post.

1. I’ve done a similar thing, but with an overflowing apple tree. I knocked on the person’s door and asked if I could help myself to a few apples to make a pie. The person said yes, but only if I made one for them, too. The person then laughed, but I did make a pie for them and brought it over the next day. Free apples from then on. :)

2. Are there witnesses?

3. Posted by T. Holbrook Walker on April 18, 2011 at 7:45 am

No, unless they are on the ground.

4. Posted by Sully on April 18, 2011 at 7:46 am

No. People do it on our street all the time, and I think it is just plain wrong!

5. Posted by Carol Rossick on April 18, 2011 at 8:07 am

Not without asking first.

6. Posted by CivilSarah on April 18, 2011 at 9:26 am

I think you ask first.

7. Posted by Yo momma on April 18, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Absolutely ask first!

8. Posted by TBeach on April 19, 2011 at 7:08 am

No. I wouldn’t take his or her extra patio chairs, lawn decorations, spare fence posts, overflowing junk mail, or fifteenth car, either, and if my dog pooped in said neighbor’s lawn, I’d bag it and take it home to throw it out. Maybe that’s just me, though.

9. Posted by iDad on April 20, 2011 at 4:02 am

I think that one’s on the List… (Thou Shalt Not Steal)

10. Posted by Raechel on April 27, 2011 at 3:03 pm

I never would. But other people do, which is why I never plant vegetables or fruit within easy reach of passers-by. With that said, however, no one has ever stolen any of the flowers growing in my front yard, so maybe I should have more faith in humanity.

11. Ask, indeed. Private property is private property. I’ve never met a person who grew food who didn’t like sharing.